Tuesday, August 26, 2014

We DO Pick Our Friends

We've all heard the old adage “You can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family.” Well, luckily my family is a great one so I have no regrets there.
Friends are the family you choose - Jess C. Scott
Best buds in high school and Dad Westman
Reunion after 34 years
Friends come and go. Naturally, with the number of times I've re-located, I've lost touch with many. Generally, I don't miss most of them, but there are others with whom I feel regret that our lives went separate ways.



3 Musketeers from high school
Ruth, Bonnie and I
Barb Bester (Becker) from Elmwood in 1964
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Do't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus
Bruce Currie, Lucan in the 70's




Gail Pellow, met in 1983
 Facebook, although many grumble about its disadvantages and annoyances, is a great tool for me to find and keep in touch with my friends of the past. I have not been successful in finding all I want to find, but a few of the closest bff's at least. I may never see them again in person, but I can still remain associated as long as they'll let me.
Met Bob and Marian in 1976
Reunion at my 50th in 2004



The close friendships I've made in my life will simply carry on, should I bump into those wonderful people again today. Nothing more is expected than a good time chatting for an afternoon. We had many things in common then, chances are we will share them again.
Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that. - Ally Condie


I have a strong belief that the special friendships I am making today, will follow me through my old age. I may not see them all on a regular basis, but we will remain connected. I also look forward to meeting many new people when we are retired and travelling on the road full time, apparently there is no end to the social life, if that is what you wish!


Derrick and Kathy
Colin, Charmaine, Selina, Samantha
Each friend brings uniqueness to my life. Some are the total opposite of me, some like a twin in how we think and what makes us laugh, some bring out the best in me, others even challenge the worst! All of my closest friends like me for who I am and don't try to change that. I feel the same about them. If I can't go somewhere with my bff when she asks or simply don't feel I want to, I can say so without any judgement on her part, no hurt feelings. That is what a true friend provides me. Honesty, comfort-ability and understanding.


George and Suzie, fellow bloggers, 2014
Brenda and I
"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable." - David Tyson Gentry



You may find yourself here in the photos and you may not. It doesn't mean we aren't bosom buddies. Not everyone could be named, and perhaps I didn't have a picture of you to post. Anyway, I plan on keeping the circuit lines open so I can continue to add new acquaintances to my friends' list. If I don't know you and you are reading this, I hope to say "It's a pleasure!" one day down the road. It is possible, the Best is Yet to Come!

 And one lasting thought about friendship:
Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. - Oprah Winfrey

Let's not forget about my lifelong friend, he's my best friend, my right hand man, my side kick, my sweetheart, my comedian, my comfort zone, my heart...........he's Bill!

Take care, my friends and thanks for joining me for a read today.

2 comments:

  1. Friends are so special, and like you said they are the family that you choose, Thanks for including us in you family we have enjoyed so great times with you and hope for more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Each day brings new adventures and new friends and I'm happy you two have joined my family. :)

      Delete