Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sunday Coming Down, Birds and Dinner with Family

I was awake just around 6 and managed to stay in bed for another 30 minutes before getting up. It wasn’t sunny like I expected nor was the sun anywhere present in the horizon. Instead, it was cloudy all around me. Bill slept on and after Clemson went out for his morning piddle, joined him until 8.

Watching the herons coming in

One lands

two fly off
I was sitting alone at my laptop reading posts when I looked out the window and saw 1, 2, no wait, 3, 4 white herons gliding in! Not wanting to waste time I slipped out with Bill’s little Power Shot Canon and snapped them flying around and then two were landing in a dead tree across the pond. My heart starts pumping when I see such a wonderful bit of nature.



And after watching the white ones, this guy swoops in

And what a beautiful swoop

How they manage to stand still on such a flimsy branch I'll never understand
The fog was dissipating, or so I thought and I went in and changed to my 30D Canon with the zoom lens. They were still in the tree and so I snapped more pictures. It seemed they were settled for the day with a bit of ruffling of feathers occasionally. I set the camera on a fence post for more stability and waited and waited and waited. At one point I came back inside to find Bill up wondering where I was.

Woops, he lost his balance

And then the fog gets denser

I was able to snap a few pictures of all 5 of them through the fog
I like how 3 of them are watching him as he lands



When I went back out all 4 had found a perch on the spindly tree and as the fog once more seemed to move in thicker, a 5th dark coloured one flew in. I stood there for the longest time hoping to get a clearer shot but the fog continued to blur my focus. I was so disappointed as I had to get the clothes sorted and into the laundromat and couldn’t hang around. I left Bill instructions to try and capture them if the fog lifted. These pictures aren’t too bad for what I was dealing with.

A pretty sky as I was going to the laundromat

Bill works in his trailer

One of his planes

These beautiful sunflowers make me smile

the fog is a memory now

It was sad at the laundromat to see a couple of washers with tags saying they needed repair. Stan would have had these looked after immediately or at least be in there working on them. I’m sure his family is really struggling with his loss. I left there before 10 and drove to Rockwood to see Mom. I was pleased that she liked the 3 articles of clothing I’d bought for her. She looked pretty today in her red sweater, black pants and long white beads. She was also in a very good mood!
Perfect day to dry clothes outside
After saying goodbye to her, I wandered down to say hello to ‘Aunt’ Mary at the other end of the hall. She looked fresh and happy to see me even though I know she is dealing with a chest infection of sorts. I chatted about what I was up to and said goodbye with a promise to return. I crave a better way to communicate with her, she wanted to tell me something that I couldn’t understand.

At home with the clothes hanging out to dry, I made myself a second tea and at noon made egg omelettes for lunch. Donna texted and they were on their way out to the Acreage for the day. We’ll pop over later this afternoon and have supper with them. We’ll take our steak and potato and she is picking me up some sweet corn as well. It seems we haven’t been over there much this year, with the weather and they haven’t been there as much either. It will be nice to enjoy some of the afternoon together.
Our neighbour takes his truck out for a run, just because he can



 Bill puttered around again in his cargo trailer with some organizing ideas. One day it will be perfect and he can hook it up and pull it out to an RC flying field without worrying about things ending up helter skelter. I set about planting my poppies and even though I planted the sunflowers that I pulled, Donna informed me that it was fruitless. Shows what I know about sunflowers. They are not perennials and will not produce flowers.
Reflections in the Acreage pond
I brought the clothes in after Bill and Clemson laid down for their nap and I took a walk down the lane before bringing the basket inside. When he got up we put the clothes away and packed up things for our supper. We drove over around 4 and had a nice visit before lighting the bbq. Bill tended the food and we sat around the giant picnic table to eat. Of course, I had to snap a group picture.
Gerry and Bill wait on the barbecue

Donna pouring drinks
Clemson likes the space at the Acreage and wanders freely. We don’t need to worry about where he goes as he always returns to Mom or Dad. We had a nice time together and at 7 pm the mosquitoes were finding Bill. It was time to go home. Donna and Gerry were heading home as well.
This was a working Sunday but an enjoyable one. I hope your day was just as wonderful.
Good food and Good times



Pink reflections in our Ridge pond
Thank you for stopping in. I love to read your comments!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing how the weather is so different there than here and we are not that far aways. Nice that it cleared up for you with a nice visit and dinner with Donna and Gerry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday we had great weather once the fog cleared at 9:30 or so. No complaints at all, it was quite hot and sunny.
      We enjoyed our dinner, nice and quiet just the four of us since we missed the long weekend with them. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great Sunday . Love the sunflowers . Have you ever noticed the field going towards Hanover on the left-hand side Of the road . By the sign that says Dave Aljoe creek . They have a field of sunflowers you can pick . Lots of people pick their . Usually is a sign . Seen them in bloom today .
    Thanks for stopping in and seeing aunt Mary .
    P&R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good Sunday for sure, laundry and visits. :)
      You missed the post where I found that field, yes, that is where they came from and I'm so excited to find that spot!!
      It was good to see Aunt Mary, love to see her smile and laugh.

      Delete
  3. That picture of the five birds in the foggy tree is spectacular! Great capture of the subtle lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FG, I'd hoped for the fog to clear but was pleased how they turned out anyway.

      Delete
  4. What great pictures today. I really liked the one of the pond with the reflections. All the pictures of the birds were wonderful. What you were able to capture through the fog was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It was strange fog, just when I thought it was clearing it got thicker still. :)

      Delete
  5. You are turning into quite the photographer sis! I really like the pictures of the herons in the fog....gives that ominous feeling. It is rare to see 5 herons in one tree and the white ones are beautiful. I have never seen a white one before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll start at the end..beautiful sunset once again! The pic of the 4 of you turned out cute! Looks like a good time. Those pesky mosquitos sure can cut an evening short. I love the fog and the herons..beautiful!

    ReplyDelete